January 14, 2003

MSAOL?

So Steve Case has left AOL. Thousands of voices have already chimed in on this subject, and I certainly don’t have much to add. I’m always a day behind anyway. I agree with Doc Searls, who said “cut off the head and the body dies”, but I know AOL won’t go away completely. They have enough subscribers to keep hobbling along in some form, and there are too many people (like my mother-in-law) who will never be able to leave the safety of AOL for any other kind of “real” internet connection, so to speak. So AOL will survive. But will Case’s replacement be able to revitalize it and keep it relevant? Will Time Warner cast it off and leave it for dead? Tune in next week for the exciting conclusion!

AOL will stick around forever, moving through AOL 9.0, AOL 10.0 (AOL X?), and so on until the inevitable – MSAOL.

Comments RSS - Write Comment

1. josh says:

like you site a lot! 🙂 lots of interesting stuff to read. MSAOL comment made me laugh out loud (and my wife too!) 🙂

Posted January 19, 2003 @ 4:29 pm
  2. anonymous says:

aol9.0 sucks

Posted January 29, 2004 @ 6:44 pm
  3. Jean says:

Is the going to be a Aol Version 10.0 or aol version aol X sumthing like that?

Posted February 26, 2004 @ 7:25 pm
  4. Jean says:

aol 9.0 optimized id=s fast for a dail-up connection compared to a 8.0 7.0

Posted February 26, 2004 @ 7:26 pm
  5. Stace says:

I like AOL and don’t think it sucks. It is easy and convenient and if you add a DSL connection you can have the best of everything. I have DSL through my local phone company so yes, it is fast I can jump on any search engine I want and no dial up. I pay extra for AOL but we enjoy keeping the service after trying many others!!!

Posted October 19, 2004 @ 5:15 pm
  6. Nathan Trence Tyson says:

I upgraded from AOL 9.0 Optimized SE in November of 2004, and now have the most current software from AOL, 9.0 Security Edition SE. I bought a 2004 HP desktop pc with a 3.0 ghz pentium 4 processor, 160gigabyte ultra dma hard drive, 1024 megs of ram, dvd+rw/cd-rw combo drive, fire wire ports etc., and wanted to insure I protected my new investment from hackers, viruses, & annoying spyware. At any rate, I wanted to comment on this new software upgrade of AOL 9.0 Security Edition SE marketed towards the home-based small business owner. I opted to sign a 12 month contract with this service, and in doing so I now have unlimited upgrades for McAfee Virus Scan… not just for my Emails mind you, but for my entire pc—ALL of the various drives etc; I also get McAffee Fire Wall Express—though, I opted for the MacAfee/AOL Privacy Wall…for an additional $2.95 per month. Additionally, this new upgrade also includes SpyBlocker Software, which scans for the three(3), predominant spyware programs when you initially sign onto AOL, and you can also perform free updates to this software to scan your entire pc for common & uncommon spyware meta-tabs which attach themselves to home-based pc’s. I’ve never had one, single, problem with AOL 9.0 Security Edition SE…and it’s a seriously major improvement over 9.0 Optimized! Additionally, my online chatting is now simplified by having a chat applet that is only one applet that places multiple IM’s into one box so to speak—enabling you to conserve your pc’s system resources even more so. Sooo for all of you nay-sayers out there haggling or heckling AOL’s ill’s and troubles…. consider this, there aren’t any other ISP’s out here giving you complimentary Virus Scan with Free Upgrades for your ENTIRE PC….along with a very reliable Fire Wall… all for the 12 month committment price of roughly $18.00 per month… which quite honestly, is far cheaper than having to pay Norton Antivirus upgrade fee’s along with Norton Utilities(fire wall), for additional upgrade fee’s each passing year!! The Top Speed Technology isn’t exactly new though… caching of images & graphics on web pages, speeds up the download process…but reduces the quality of the images—but if you’re on dialup like me on a 300 acre farm… you’re thankful for any improvement in the time spent online waiting for webpages to load fully. Sooo at any length, kudos to AOL for sensing the needs of the market and providing software at no additional charge to it’s customer base & for introducing vital protection to pc’s for home users… something that should help reduce the number of pc’s arriving at service centers corrupted with spyware and/or viruses.
    (p.s) There is also an AOL 9.0 Security Edition LE–which stands for “light edition”…and is marketed for pc users that don’t have either enough RAM to support 9.0 Security Edition SE requirements or hard-drive space. Some of the enhanced Super Buddy & Smiley Animation features don’t work with 9.0 Security Edition LE, but then again that’s price you pay for not updating your pc to keep up with the demands of current software requirements. ;->

Posted December 19, 2004 @ 7:47 pm
  7. Anonymous says:

aol is the best!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! hot mail msn yahoo sbc all them suck aol is the best

Posted January 28, 2005 @ 6:25 pm
  8. MUJARRAD says:

ANY BODY KNOWS WHEN AOL 10.0 IS COMING OUT

Posted May 8, 2005 @ 4:39 am
  9. Adam says:

Hi last month i upgraded from AOL dial up to broadband silver and i have to say how much better it is. but i wanted to know when AOL 10.0 is comming out because AOL 9.0 has been out ages now it’s about time we had a change

Posted May 20, 2005 @ 1:27 pm
  10. kacie says:

is there a 10.0 yet or is everyone just making it up ?

Posted July 2, 2005 @ 10:13 am
  11. james says:

when will aol 10.0 come out?????????

Posted September 8, 2005 @ 5:06 pm
  12. binghyfla1 says:

when is aol 10 .0 coming out i tard of 9.0 need something new

Posted October 15, 2005 @ 5:17 pm
  13. Anonymous says:

i work at AOL ( i’m not really suppose to tell) there will be a new “AOL 10” coming mid March

Posted November 13, 2005 @ 1:00 pm
  14. Anonymous says:

Aol is the worst program in the world. That is a fact. It sucks. So bad. I hate it. So do millions of others.

Posted January 15, 2006 @ 11:55 am
  15. bill gates says:

aol is the best for ppl that want a good internet. aol is good

Posted January 29, 2006 @ 11:06 pm
  16. lee says:

what good is it to download security 9.0 Le if you do not get any features. I understand you only get features with Se version. What features does Le has. Is it worth it to download 9.0 security Le version. Le version is for computes with less ram or less than 128 mg

Posted February 14, 2006 @ 7:45 pm
  17. yanike says:

AOL is the best software out there! Believe me I haven’t used AOL in years and settled with freeware and others. Opera and AOL Explorer were the only programs that satisfied my needs. Recently I decided to give AOL a try again. AOL is the best and will always be. AOL was the first thing that introduced me to the internet and it still amazes me ’till this day. The only thing it needs is tabs in the AOL Browser(Not Explorer which is the best standalone browser) and when it gets that other companies mine as well give up. AOL 10 is going to be the best! I wonder what they are stirring up for the next one.

AOL member for life,
    Yanike

Posted March 8, 2006 @ 1:48 pm
  18. Anonymous says:

AOL 9.0 IS SLOW AND GIVES YOU VIRUSES.

Posted July 9, 2006 @ 10:58 am
  19. Anonymous says:

AOL SUCKS

Posted July 9, 2006 @ 10:59 am
  20. Cole says:

Is there going to be a aol 10.0 if so when is it coming out?

Posted August 27, 2006 @ 6:47 pm
  21. Billy says:

I Think aol is ok even though it gives you some viruses. its no different then the other internet company’s out there you won’t get anything out there perfect not even aol is perfect. i still can’t wait for aol 10.0. no afence to microsoft the creator of the windows os there the biggest verus making system out there. we need a better os out other than windows. But antway I here that aol 10.0 will be out in march .

Posted October 21, 2006 @ 11:19 am
  22. Anonymous says:

a day behind… yep, me too. I agree though about AOL being a waste of space. It’s obsessive ‘i own your windows’ on windows is a sheer mark of pain to all those interested. and the connection of an ISP with a browser directly is a lot faster… and you need a nice computer and a fast connection just to make you think your AOL works as as fast as the computer 4 times slower running firefox on a connection half the speed. basically… it’s just plain annoying.

Posted October 25, 2006 @ 1:00 am
  23. Patrick says:

There is no AOL 10.0 even in planning as far as I know. the new product is AOL openride. Which is much more like a browser, although don’t leave it at that.

here is a link for you

Posted November 21, 2006 @ 12:27 pm
  24. Scott Schrantz says:

Yeah, AOL’s changed a lot since I wrote this. The access business is busy dying, but they reinvented themselves as a publishing/advertising company, buying Weblogs Inc and relaunching Netscape.com into relevancy again. Since the AOL client is part of the old access business, I don’t think we’ll see anything major on that front. OpenRide might be the closest we get to “AOL 10.0”.

Posted November 22, 2006 @ 1:24 pm
  25. Roman says:

OpenRide is weird and horrible. If they wanted to do a suite (not AOL suite – that was a system resource hog!), they should have put together something that resembled the user-friendliness of previous AOL clients…. like an AOL version of MSN Explorer. But this Brady-Bunched array of squares? Annoying.

Posted January 17, 2007 @ 6:21 pm
  26. Roman says:

Posted January 17, 2007 @ 6:22 pm
  27. Roman says:

Update: AOL 10.0 was released late last year. LIGHT YEARS better than 9.anything. They added tabbed browsing, linked e-mail addresses (that can use non-AOL e-mail services), and a totally user-content driven tool bar. The platform is different than the bulky 9.x and previous setup, as well… It’s basically a conjoining of an e-mail client, web browser, and AIM messenger, so it’s not nearly the systerm rescource parasite that previous versions were. I hadn’t used any AOL software in years, but now I’m using this one.

Posted February 20, 2008 @ 1:08 pm
  28. Daryl says:

I’ve used AOL 8.0 for years because I had a dinosaur computer. I bought a newer computer that is 2 1/2 times faster and has three times the ram capability as my old one. I installed AOL 8.0_ I was so impressed with the improvement that I decided to install AOL 9.0 Optimized. It was quickly uninstalled. What a resource hog! The AOL “system information” said that 61 percent of my ram was in use after a simple search. As I write, I’m using 8.0 and my “system information” says 34 percent ram usage. They’ve stopped updating the welcome screen for 8.0 but, I could care less. I can watch the news on TV. All I care about is having a good connection and AOL 8.0 is FAST and convenient. I might try AOL 10.0 but, I will not throw away my 8.0 disc (until I get a system with at least a 2.0ghz processor and at least a gig of ram (or) cable internet is available, by itself, for about $25 a month).

Posted June 11, 2008 @ 10:16 pm