April 4, 2003

Inside EPSN

In part 2 of his interview with DevEdge, Mike Davidson (who recently redesigned ESPN.com to be more standards-compliant) explains his feelings on HTML validation and standards compliance, and why ESPN.com doesn’t validate and probably never will.

Telling me my site needs to validate in order to be standards-compliant is like telling me I need a flag in my lawn to call myself an American … If I somehow felt like having a site which strictly validates was an indication of my manhood, maybe I’d do it, but it really means very little to me … It’s just that complete compliance often isn’t possible without making unacceptable sacrifices. I’d say that if a site is 95% compliant and it uses the other 5% to create a better user experience, then that’s just fine.

He also talks about massaging his browser upgrade page to let NN4 users know why they were blocked out, where the standards fall short, and about the role weblogs played in giving him feedback and guiding the fine-tuning of the site.

Filed under The Computer Vet Weblog

Comments (1)

Comments RSS - Write Comment

  1. Pradeep says:

    281 errors is definetely not 95% compliant. Also, most of the errors can be removed very easily. Why didn't he do that. For example, look at the first error. Majority of the errors have something to do with style sheets, javascript (type), alt attribute for image tags and the '&'.

    Posted April 7, 2003 @ 2:22 pm

Write Comment