December 3, 2003

Active Directory Deficit Disorder

This is a fine can of fish. All my Windows XP computers have had their Application logs filling up with an AutoEnrollment error. I tracked down the cause—it seems that Windows XP checks for an Active Directory every eight hours. If it can’t find one, it logs this error. Since we have a Windows NT domain running here, there is no Active Directory. So every one of the Windows XP computers (currently 25, or half the company) is filling up its event logs with this dumb error. The fix is easy enough, luckily, but I have to do it to every one of the computers, and make sure it gets done to every new XP computer I put out there. What a pain. And you’d think XP could detect what kind of domain it’s joining, and make sure dumb services like this don’t run if they don’t have to.

Filed under The Computer Vet Weblog

Comments (1)

Comments RSS - Write Comment

  1. Garth says:

    haha i got the same problem at my company ;o)
    had to change it for 30 pc’s.

    beware !!! you may have to change it at 2 different locations on the same computer (gpedit.msc : for the user & for the computer)

    Posted January 8, 2004 @ 9:42 am

Write Comment