February 8, 2007

What, Again?

If you’ve been a reader of this site for any amount of time, you might remember that a few years ago we went through a flurry of home remodeling. We ripped up all the carpets, put down wood and tile floors, and stripped the bathrooms down to the studs and rebuilt them. The last of this was done two years ago, and we thought it really would be the last.

But no. I cocked up the bathrooms so bad, the showers in particular, that water was leaking everywhere and the drywall was rotting away. So this spring we’ll see the house once again filled with the implements of renovation, as I have to tear the bathrooms apart once again and rebuild them. This time, I’m not using sheetrock, I’m using waterproof cement board. I’m not using plastic panels, I’m using ceramic tile. And I don’t care what my wife says, I’m sealing that son of a bitch up with three inches thick of caulk all the way around. It’s getting done right this time, or else.

Or else next time we just sell the house.

Filed under The Computer Vet Weblog

Comments (6)

Comments RSS - Write Comment

  1. alan herrell - the head lemur says:

    relax, scott. we have the technology and the people.
    I will post this over at houseblogs.net and see if a 1000 housebloggers can get you on the road to recovery.

    http://www.houseblogs.net/community/comments.php?DiscussionID=415

    My first question is where is the water damage? Plumbing wall? Window wall? back wall? bottom of surround?

    Posted February 9, 2007 @ 9:12 am
  2. King of Kentville says:

    By the look of the first pic I would say the window sill was causing a/the problem…the plastic and blue tape gave it away 🙂 That window opening would have to be wrapped really well to prevent leaking…all the caulk in the world wont help if the tub surround isn’t wrapped around the window opening correctly. We made the hard decision of removing our window for this very reason. If you are going to tile over everything just make sure you use a water proof membrane to wrap the walls and window opening with (and it wouldn’t hurt to slope your window sill towards the tub a bit to encourage the water to run back into the tub). 3 inches of caulk is never the right answer to a leaking bathroom 🙂

    Posted February 9, 2007 @ 10:14 am
  3. king of Kentville says:

    One other thing…it looks like your drywall runs right down to the tub. The drywall should only come down until it meets the tub lip, which leaves a 1/2 inch or so between the bottom of the drywall and tub ( I found this out after I did my first tub, but I did the second one right 🙂 ). The 1/2 inch gap can then be filled with caulking prior to installing a tub surround or tile.

    Posted February 9, 2007 @ 10:22 am
  4. jm says:

    We have a window above our bath/shower too…here is how we approached waterproofing the shower wall. We tiled right over the sill and around the sides of the window. The tile is backed by Durock Cement Board. . Here is an after photo. Just remember to protect every last inch of your tub while you are tiling. We didn’t do a great job of it and, well, here is our lesson learned.

    Posted February 9, 2007 @ 11:18 am
  5. Scott Schrantz says:

    The water did leak in through the windowsill. That’s the same place it leaked last time. Why would anyone put a window in the shower’s splash zone like that? There’s no accounting for the 70s, I guess.

    One thing I know for sure is that this time I’m using HardiBacker instead of drywall. But I’ve got to make sure to seal up that window right so the water never gets inside the walls.

    Posted February 9, 2007 @ 5:34 pm
  6. Marg. says:

    We too had this issue, and didn’t want to remove our window, or make it smaller (which, honestly, would have made it about 3″ wide!). I think these funny little windows in older houses with later bathrooms are actually pantry windows (ours is!) in former, repurposed, pantries.

    Our shower wall is 6 to 7 feet of hardibacker under tile, and we tiled all the way up to the frame of the window, grouted and CAULKED. I caulked around the window, and all of the joints in its (alkyd gloss painted) frame (whether gapping or not) with 100% silicone caulk. It’s more a of pain to clean up, but it really makes a difference. I even checked the joints with a mirror to make sure I hadn’t missed anything.

    Entries on our bathroom remodel are here. No pictures – before and after images are in a recent entry here.

    Posted February 10, 2007 @ 9:16 pm

Write Comment