December 14, 2008

How to Fix a Hopelessly Scratched Wii Game

AzuraDisc is a company that does exactly one thing, and does it well. It repairs scratched DVDs. You know when you’ve had CDs or DVDs that are badly scratched, and they won’t play or they skip. It’s a service that you mail your disc to, and they’ll polish it up with their fancy machines and send it back to you, smooth as the day you bought it. And it’s a service that has really made me happy recently.

A couple of months ago I went to pop my copy of Twilight Princess into the Wii. I put in the disc, and immediately got an error. The disc could not be read. I tried it again. I cleaned it. I washed it. I tried it again and again, but it wouldn’t play. It wouldn’t even come up to the title screen. Just a message that the disc couldn’t be read. I looked at it under a bright light and it didn’t look bad. I know the baby likes to take DVDs and crawl around the house while clutching them, and feed them to the dogs, and other unfriendly things, but there was no evidence of that. Just a few scratches around the edge. They were circular scratches too, which leads to the unsettling conclusion that the disc was in the Wii when it was scratched. That’s something that I hope was a fluke and my Wii is not eating discs!

Anyway, I looked up what you can do about scratched Wii games. And it’s the same list of fixes that you have for scratched DVDs. Soft cloths, Windex, toothpaste, paper towels, I tried it all. And those gouges would not go away. They were set in the plastic. And I could not get the disc to play, not even one time. So now I was looking at a really bad situation, a disc that was hopelessly damaged. Which sucks, because Twilight Princess is not only a good game, it’s also a $50 game. I didn’t want to shell that out to replace a game I already owned.

So I started looking into other options. I one thing that kept appearing in my searches was disc repair services. And in reading through forums one name was always coming up, with good customer satisfaction among all who used it: AzuraDisc. So I finally decided I had nothing else to lose, because it was either this or put the game on the trash heap. So I went to their site, filled out the form, and dropped my game in the mail.

For a couple of weeks nothing happened. I thought maybe it had gotten lost, or maybe the service was a scam and they were selling my game out the back door. But then finally a charge appeared on my credit card, a very small charge of $3.50. And two days later, on Saturday, a small unmarked box appeared in my mailbox. It finally came back! I ripped open the box and examined the disc. All evidence of the scratches were gone. It was like getting a brand new game in the mail.

So I put the disc in the Wii, and of course it played perfectly. Finally there was no error message, no black screen, just the title screen to the game that I hadn’t seen in so long. I went to look at how long it had been since I last played the same, and saw the date of my last save. November 2007. Thirteen months I had gone without playing it, even though I didn’t notice the scratches until just two months ago. That shows how much the baby lets me play Nintendo. Of course, I’ve also been playing Super Mario Galaxy for most of the year.

So I finally got Twilight Princess back, after so long without it. I guess in some ways it was a good thing that the disc was scratched, because to get my Zelda fix I instead played Wind Waker all the way through, and remembered just how much I enjoy that game. But now I get to return to Twilight Princess, and I think that because it’s been so long I’ll just wipe everything out and start a new game from scratch. It’s the only right thing to do after 13 months.

And the next time I have a game or a DVD that is hopelessly scratched, I’ll know who to send it to to save the day.

Comments RSS - Trackback - Write Comment

1. disc scratch repair | Digg hot tags says:

[...] Vote How to Fix a Hopelessly Scratched Wii Game [...]

Posted December 26, 2008 @ 8:34 am
  2. Jeremy says:

well, i have the same scratch on my Super Smash Brawl on the outer edge, circular shaped. I think the case did it. I think my son was turning it in the case… Im going to give it a try! Thanks! JW

Posted February 3, 2009 @ 10:03 am
  3. Sai says:

I have the same problem too. And what a coincidence it was a twilight princess game. I’m in the sky temple and a message pops up saying your disc cannot be read read the manual. So i looked at it and it had scratches all along the edges of the cd (note: i had the game for 3 years and never actually got to play it until now) I tried all those methods and i finally found something that actually might work. BUT!! I love this game so much, i would like to know how long would i have to wait until the game came back to me?
    you can email me at narufoxes@yahoo.com

REALLY APPRECIATED!!

Posted February 3, 2010 @ 8:59 pm
  4. ruben says:

I had the same problem with my Twilight Princess also. This happened to me twice.

Posted February 17, 2010 @ 11:21 pm
  5. Alex says:

Thank you! I have 4 Wii games which have this problem, and which I LOVE, and was completely unaware of this solution. I will surely try it out!

Posted February 27, 2010 @ 10:11 pm
  6. Morgan says:

I have the same problem with the Super Smash Bros Brawl disc. It’s not working. It has been repairing for two weeks. And when it came back, it’s still now working. It stress me out.

Posted March 12, 2010 @ 6:04 pm
  7. NarutoLink60 says:

My mario kart wii disc is bad… but i dont wanna fill out forms… and i been looking for ways to fix this but im too scared to lose my wii!

Posted May 1, 2010 @ 12:55 pm
  8. Girlwholoveswii says:

okay my twilight princess game also dosen’t work and lots and lots of my friends have the same problem also my sims game has this happening too but not the circular scratches just regular scrathes so I don’t know!

Posted May 21, 2010 @ 3:11 pm
  9. tomrox says:

I have the same problem with my SSBB game disk too. I’m gonna bring it to GameStop.

Posted June 25, 2010 @ 7:29 pm
  10. Harley says:

I have 10 different Wii disks that have circular scratches on them, and I’m on hold with Nintendo now about the issue. This is the second time I’m having it repaired under warranty again.

Don’t fall for the you must have bumped it while the disk was spinning load of BS, they are aware of the issue, and will repair it under warranty, or replace it.

It is the console this is scratching your disks.

Nintendo just came back on the phone and is setting up the new repair or replacement as I’m typing.

Posted July 8, 2010 @ 10:27 am
  11. aiman says:

i need my disc fixed help me

Posted September 14, 2010 @ 11:37 am
  12. Addie says:

we have several games that aren’t working…our baby also likes to drag them around on the floor…i have taken mine to lots of places looking for someone to fix them and noone has the machine…gamestop told me those circular marks on the games are from pausing it for lengthy periods of time and it burns the game…???….anyhow, we had several start showing can’t read the disc all at about the same time…i’m talking a stack of games worth alot of money…i went to the AzuraDisc website and I’ll be trying them…hope it works!!

Posted October 8, 2010 @ 6:28 pm
  13. Peter says:

Thank you for helping me!

Posted November 6, 2010 @ 5:08 am
  14. Sydney says:

That’s ironic. Haha. Super Mario Galaxy is the one I have that’s scratched up.

Posted December 26, 2010 @ 7:42 pm
  15. Jack says:

I’ll give it a shot because the same thing that happen to your game happen to my mariokart wii I’d tried every thing so i guess i’ll use AzuraDisc

Posted January 16, 2011 @ 7:04 am
  16. Carly says:

Ridiculous.. this is my exact story almost.. my son shoved a DVD into the wii even though twilight princess was in there.. there are tiny scratches all over it now and I am trying to fix it myself before I send it off.. worst of all, I borrowed this from someone because I had already beat it so many times on gamecube and I wanted to be sure it was that much different.. now I have to buy two copies! (well, still one I suppose if I send it to this place or I don’t get it to work)

Posted April 4, 2011 @ 8:24 pm
  17. Austin says:

heres some tips to keeping your discs from getting scratched up.
    1. keep discs in cool places. most discs now are made of polimer based plastic. the polimer in the disc is week to hot places hence the reason for the fan in the wii.
    2. if you have any plastic the same size as the disc clean thoroughly and place disc reading side down. if the disc is on a surface not as smooth as read disc side it will be scratched.
    3.if you put your disc in wii and notice scratches on it when you take it out after use, most likely your wii is damaged from over use. due to the wii’s sensitive eye when over heated the peice that surrounds it swells up from the heat and brushes up against the disc causing the scratches.

Posted June 27, 2011 @ 12:06 pm